piute pass to evolution valleyhungary no longer a democracy Posted March 13, 2023

After that, I was down on the floor of Evolution Valley. Lunch at Evolution Lake. Deer are seen occasionally. Our group of six left a vehicle at the termination point (South Lake trailhead) then drove to the North Lake overnight parking lot and we started our journey in the late afternoon. Trailhead: Florence Lake, 84 miles east of Fresno, elevation 7,300 feet Following the PCT southward another 4 miles will bring you to Evolution Meadow. The SteriPen uses UV light to kill the germs. Which didnt happen until I reached Piute Creek and the metal bridge that crossed it. From there, the trail traverses Humphreys Basin and reaches the splendid section of the Pacific Crest Trail known as Evolution Valley. From the pass panoramic views extend west across Humphrey Basin to the distant peaks rising above the western side of the South Fork of the San Joaquin Valley. For a topographic map of the hike see my CalTopo Page, For LOTS more photos of the trek see my Flickr Page, Dawn alpenglow over Evolution Lake as I packed up all my gear for another big day of hiking, Dawn color in the clouds above Evolution Valley to the north, Waterfall on the creek that descends from Darwin Bench, after the JMT descends into Evolution Valley, Crossing the creek below the waterfall it was very wide with many small crossings, The Hermit (12328 feet elevation), standing alone and shining bright, at the upper end of Evolution Valley, View up Evolution Valley, over McClure and Colby Meadows with Evolution Creek on the right, and The Hermit, center, The McClure Meadow Ranger Station and the notices outside near the trail, View over McClure Meadow in the morning light, Still water on an curving stretch of Evolution Creek, down in the flat section of Evolution Valley, This is the lower ford of Evolution Creek, where the PCT-JMT crosses this could be dangerous in Spring, The first of several powerful waterfalls and cascades on Evolution Creek down at the lower end of Evolution Valley, One waterfall after another on this section of the creek, Wide-angle GoPro shot looking down into the worn granite where Evolution Creek tumbled downward, One last view of Evolution Creek as it churned down a granite chute on its way out of Evolution Valley, Mount Henry (12196 feet) peeking out between two glaciated granite domes above the South Fork San Joaquin River, The wooden bridge where the JMT-PCT first crosses the South Fork San Joaquin River, Aspen and pine forest at a much lower elevation it was HOT, The metal bridge where the PCT-JMT crosses the South Fork San Joaquin River, View from the metal bridge looking north (downstream), The South Fork San Joaquin River as I hiked north on the John Muir Trail in the sun, The river goes through a steep gorge down below a talus slide. Recommend to everybody. Inside the hut, I swear I felt intensely connected with the energy of the many hikers who entered tired, cold and grateful. contour 80 feet UTM zone 11 Customers Like You Also Purchased USA Highways Wall Map $10.95 Custom Radius Maps $175.00 Island Visions $39.99 Rides of a Lifetime: Southwest by MAD Maps $16.95 Following that, we returned to North Lake via Lamarck Col, a high pass just short of 13,000'. This famous combo-trail will be our path for the next 26.5 miles. Day four Rest and explore. Continue straight at the 3-way. Starting at the North Lake TH, we will cross Piute Pass (11,423'). After lunch was finished, I reluctantly put on my pack and continued hiking in the roasting sun. The first thing the trail did was cross the river on a wooden bridge, far upstream from its merging with Evolution Creek, so it was still relatively small. Now I can say, beeen there in a sing-song tone suggesting my best time ever in the land of granite. Mosquitos are out a bit especially in Evolution Valley and Piute Creek. Not only that, but the trail was going to head even lower as I followed the river downstream. The trail on the right leads north into French Canyon. Membership. I decided to stop for lunch a short ways ahead, and hung out in the shade next to the water with a couple of PCT hikers that Id spoken to earlier. It tasted cold and fresh. This was fortunate, because I dont think we could have walked any further even if you told us there was free cold beer around the next bend served by Matthew McConaughey. There were several wet crossings during the first three or four miles. I want to hike West to East in the lowest part of the evolution valley, beginning at Edison Lake. We puzzled about the cause. $3,395: Description Itinerary Resources The John Muir Trail is one of the finest hikes to be found anywhere in the world. Day 4: Evolution Valley to Piute Creek. Building anything out here must be quite the challenge. First it is ridiculed. Peaks north of Bishop Pass, and south of Piute Pass form two basic groups, Bishop Group and Evolution Group. classic Sierra beauty from the very start. Nineteen miles from the nearest trailhead, Evolution Valley is a two-day hike for most backpackers. Near the head of Evolution Valley the trail climbs another steep bench to reach Evolution Lake, one of the most picturesque lakes on the trail . Day 2: In the morning, we broke camp early and switch-backed up to Bishop Pass. Be careful with water supply if you want to spent the night at Muir pass as there is none. The trail wandered along through the forest, not far from Evolution Creek, which was flowing peacefully and slow. Always confirm information with the service provider and check for any recent changes that We would love to be back again sometime. 4 days 3 nights 2 passes had a great time. Before last pass go to side trail golden trout lake to spend a night. Next we go through Evolution Valley skirting Darwin Canyon, passing through Evolution Basin and crossing the Goddard Divide just before going over Muir Pass (11,855'). We started at 8,200 feet and camped at 11,200 feet. It ended the same way that it started: With Waterfalls! I also crossed Evolution creek at the alternate, which was swampy but looked much easier than the main crossing. 3 trip report day 5-8: Lyell Canyon/Tuolumne Meadows to Red's Meadow Resort. kelly e. No matter how heavy my pack is I always leave room for some whiskey. Day 4: Rest and explore. Create a personalized feed and bookmark your favorites. Mosquitos were pretty bad in the meadows, and none up at Evolution Lake, so I recommend bug spray! Evolution Valley Ascension, Kings Canyon National Park and John Muir Wilderness, California Sierra Club Outings Trip | Backpack More Photos Highlights Traverse high mountain passes including Piute and Muir Hike among lush green meadows full shallow tarns Enjoy a layover day to explore or relax Includes The total distance to Evolution Lake is about 10 miles. One time, we found beers in the Muir Hut with a note 'Take only one'. The I have done it over 4 days - 3 nights and my backpack was around 42 pounds. Aside from stellar views, you will also find a station in McClure Meadow that is manned in the summer months by a ranger. Would recommend to anyone wanting to experience the High Sierras. Bugs werent that bad. The rest were lazy snoozers. There are several decent camping spots in the meadow and they are all next to heavy-flowing Piute Creek. John Muir Trail, Evolution Valley, and Goddard Canyon access point. The fourth day we packed back to the Florence lake JMT trail junction. I would love to do it sometime, so thank you for the inspiration. Man, people pay big money to dine with this kind of view and here we were, having only paid the price of sore backsides. Layover at Sapphire Lake while weather passed. We found several amazing campsites just off the east side of the trail that held us warm and protected from the wind. Bishop and Muir Pass are still very snowy. Sign up for Outside+ today. My girlfriends told me I started singing gospel at that point, but I really think they may be exaggerating. Once we reached the pass at 11,955 feet, we were gifted with the sight of Muir Hut constructed in 1930 by the Sierra Club, with the intention of sheltering hikers that may find themselves caught in unsavory weather. They are past the Muir Trail Ranch. Another 1.5 miles up the canyon is the turnoff to Evolution Valley. It was uphill all the way, and there was occasional shade, as I had hoped, so I didnt get heat stroke or anything. Hike through spectacular Evolution Basin Marvel at views from Muir, Bishop and Piute Passes Explore remote lakes and ridges Includes Group cooking gear and bear-proof food containers Vegetarian-friendly meals and snacks Campsites and all permits Overview The Trip "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! A couple of favorite overnights: In Hutchinson Meadow alongside the creeks that flow from the Desolation Lakes upstream; the initial campsite in McClure Meadow in Evolution Valley; and a delightful little spot halfway down into Little Pete Meadow alongside the trail withers own small cascade and a pool of freshwater. Parking: A large parking lot for overnight trips is situated close to the lake. All in all, it had been another great day in the High Sierra. I highly recommend this one. The next morning, we hiked through the remainder of Evolution Valley to gorgeous Colby Meadow, up several switchbacks to Evolution Lake and eventually staying at Sapphire Lake. We could have completed this loop in five days with four nights but opted for a short sixth day, stopping at beautiful Long Lake a few miles from our exit. Glaciers clung to the northern slopes of the mountains, feeding small waterfalls. Theodore S. Solomons and E.C. Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ First campsite - Blaney Meadow (10 miles). I sucked the last of my water from the hose and hiked on, filled with new energy. Head out on this 30.7-mile out-and-back trail near Lakeshore, California. Driving times may vary based on conditions. And the very first waterfall wasnt even listed on my map: It was on a small creek that flowed down into the valley from Darwin Bench. Saw plenty of deer, and other hikers saw a few bears in the meadows. Thats what happens when you go to sleep at sunset! Did this in the opposite direction (South Lake to North Lake) and had a blast. Reach a footbridge over Jeffrey pine-lined Piute Creek, and camp on designated pads nearby. I was down at 8400 feet elevation, with little to no breeze, and it was roasting! Every effort is made to provide accurate and up to date information, but we cannot be responsible for errors or for changes that may have occurred since publication. Then I ate some dinner and took photos and videos of the waterfall that was just downstream from my tent. The log cabin is located on the right side of the trail as you hike south a short distance before the Piute Creek bridge. The North Lake-South Lake loop is the famous "Rainbow Trail" and includes spectacular scenery visiting such areas as Dusy basin, Le Conte Canyon, Muir Pass, Evolution valley, and Humphrey's Basin. Day 1: The first day held an unexpected bonus in that, inadvertently, it turned out to be Get-used-to-less-oxygen Day. Day 3: From camp, descend 7.3 miles on the JMT into Evolution Valley, then add an easy 1.2 miles to camp by Evolution Lake. Mostly True Stories of My Hiking Trips, a PhotoJournal. Slightly brutal at times-especially for a beginner- but the views are unmatched. GoPro video as I forded Evolution Creek, just north of Evolution Meadow. At least there might be shade along this section, I thought to myself. As we got going again I was giving myself a pretty serious mental pep talk about taking it easy and giving myself the time needed to work my way up the 700 feet of rocky switchbacks. Always confirm information with the service provider and check for any recent changes that may have been made. We put in about 11.5 miles but it was almost all downhill or level deep-forest hiking. It follows the south fork of the San Joaquin and Evolution Creek nearly all the way. Mosquitoes burst forth in early and mid-summer, especially around the meadow areas near the Muir Trail Ranch and Evolution Valley. But 6-year-old Gregory "was an absolute trooper," said Steward, as . Absolutely beautiful. During my summer as a volunteer wildlife technician in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, I spent my days trekking with a pack full of tracking equipment to survey animal populations. I found a spot right next to the creek in the shade of a small grove of trees. Ouch! The ferry was not running yet. History. Leave the JMT, and follow the drainage up to Darwin Canyon. Then it is violently opposed. Dinners were instant potatoes with packaged salmon or tuna along with instant soup or couscous. What a reward after the long hike up the mountainThanks. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. Up until Sep 11th there was a shuttle service that we could have used to get from South Lake to the North Lake trailhead -- running a couple of times a day and costing $20. I left the trail to follow right along the creek, and took way too many photos and videos. At mile 5.5 we crossed the river again and took a short break at the base of a long series of switchbacks that would bring us up to Evolution Valley. Piute Pass actually puts you into the upper reaches of the San Joaquin River Basin (So. Good campsites can be found along the river beyond the Piute Creek bridge. Highly recommend pushing up to lower Dusy Basin (though there are several campsites about 1200 vertical feet up from Le Conte, just prior to a bridge crossing) (night 4). Explore Evolution Valley - view hand-curated trail maps and driving directions as well as detailed reviews and photos from hikers, campers and nature lovers like you. Pat was the captain of the ferry and Charlie ran the little store, nice couple. These Photos Prove It. Grand views of the high sierra. The stars up there were surreal. That night we enjoyed a campfire in Aspen Meadow since we were below 10,000 feet and there were already the makings for a fire ready to go! Diego, the 11-year-old Lab mix, was struggling; the family carried him part way. Wheres there a low altitude pass that brings me out East of the Darwin Glacier? This was hands down one of the best hikes I've done in the High Sierras. The climb up to Piute Pass was uneventful, passing a series of lakes on the way to the day's high point. John Muir Rock rises directly to the east. Then continue up the valley to McClure Meadow. Pass along rocky shores of Evolution Lake JMT092 Location: 37.054474, -118.501686 Start of the Golden Staircase, last section of the JMT to be completed. It was challenging knowing exactly where to cross, we tried to find a place that looked shallow enough, however the water came up above my hips (Im 52) which was pretty scary because the current moved me quite a bit and the water was freezing! The information provided on this website is done so without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. however, if you are an average backpacker like me, expect some brutal acents and decents. But, conditions are still challenging. Only done it North to South. Such a memorable backpacking trip! Reach a footbridge over Jeffrey pine-lined Piute Creek, and camp on designated pads nearby. We had perfect weather, saw some incredible scenery and wildlife, and had an overall fantastic time! By the time I was ready to hike I looked down at the tents below me on the shore of the lake and only one person had crawled out of their tent. I finally had a chance to use the water shoes Id been carrying! The ferry is $25 roundtrip, or $13 one way. Push to camp spots near the McClure Meadow ranger station; you will be rewarded with the best breakfast scenery the next day (night 2). The canister is a whole lotta bulky but is worth its weight should a bruin decide hed like some chocolate with his berries. July 10 - 14. Did in 4.5 days south to north. Good campsites can be found there also. Beautifully desolate. Moderate to the rim of the valley. We did encounter several groups of happy campers who had spent the previous night at some of these lakes. We camped up there on our second night. It was quite dramatic. Us silly girls didnt expect something for nothing did we? But the point is we were beat! I had 2500 feet of climbing to do tomorrow, and I wanted to get as much of it done as possible while it was still cool. Day 2 Evolution Valley 17.18 2977 AEG Emptied our packs and hiked down to the Muir Trail Ranch to pick our resupply. Fork), from which you access Evolution Valley via Piute Creek down to the River, then back up the river and Evolution Creek to McClure Meadow and beyond; stated simply, from the pass this is a down-up. Water is abundant if you plan it right. I recommend taking the ferry to avoid the lake hike; the view doesn't much change, and there's a lot of clutter around the lake campsites that take away from it. Depending on your fitness level, you can get to the valley in a day, and choose to go farther to Evolution Lake. Oh ya, chill and take your time. We were lucky with good weather. There was no bridge. The year 2021 was certainly one of the driest in a long time, as it was early July and the hills were bone dry. Didn't make it up to the lake, but SO HAPPY that we made it to the Hermit. In August we did North lake to south lake direction which avoided the climb up to Bishop pass. Camp at Wanda Lake along the trail to Muir Pass; no campsites after first quarter mile (night 3). Evolution lake is awesome. But the Reader Leader contest was all it took to get me planning again. Campsites: Lake Georg, Long Lake, descent down from Dusy Basin, Helen Lake, McLure Meadow, Puite Canyon Trail, Summit Lake. It had taken me almost twelve hours, although I have to admit that I took several very long breaks. Plentiful water (I never carried more than 16 oz.). Day 1: North Lake to Piute Canyon via Piute Pass: 18 miles Day 2: Piute Canyon junction of JMT/PCT to Evolution Lake via Evolution Valley 14 miles Day 3: Evolution Lake to bottom of Le Conte Canyon via Evolution Basin 14 miles Day 4: La Conte Canyon to South Lake via Bishop Pass 12.5 miles Mosquitoes: none, gnats on Wanda Lake Day Zero Travel day. 1 decision & planning. And it felt like it. We started at south lake and ended on north lake, backwards from most, and while Piute pass was a hard hike, i think ending on Piute and Humphrey's Basin was a great way to complete the trip. We had heard that you could maybe get an employee of Parcher's Resort to give you a lift to the North Lake Trailhead -- they are located a mile down the road from the South Lake Trailhead. Completed end of July 2022. Located in California's beautiful eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains, Inyo National Forest offers challenging trails, high mountain peaks, and unparalleled views. Darwin/Bench. Along the way I came across the Muir Rock which I had seen on the topo map. Muir Pass That felt great! Piute Creek You then head south on the JMT, along the river until you reach the junction with the Goddard Canyon Trail. Notice that when I downsized my load I didnt ditch the tequila. On the fourth day of my trek, I backpacked north from Evolution Lake, down into the Evolution Valley with its lush meadows and waterfalls, then down even further to the South Fork San Joaquin River, which I followed downstream yet more, until I left the JMT/PCT for the Piute Pass Trail, climbing this time, and eventually camped along Piute Creek. I needed both water and a flat spot. It took us a little over five days (as schedued) to complete the hike. Slept like a drunken sailor. I was breathing so hard I started to suspect my companions might have embraced some trail humor and stashed their heavy items in my pack when I wasnt looking. That was a big mistake. Warm days in the upper 70s and the nights werent too cool either, even up at sapphire lake. We hiked this loop from North to South Lake. I was OK with this, as its hard to tell distance when youre hiking fast downhill, as it feels so much different heading the other way. Since we stopped for lunch here and the lake has no name I guess Ill call it Lunch Lake. It was great to get back and do another hike in the High Sierra. Piute Pass 01:05:00 Hutchinson Meadow 02:18:02 Piute Canyon/JMT Junction 3:13:44 Goddard Canyon Junction 3:50:59 McClure Meadow Ranger . Bonner explored this area in 1895 while scouting a hikers route along the crest of the Sierra (it would eventually become the John Muir Trail). The normal crossing is not recommended now due to the higher flow, so people have been crossing upstream a bit. The Evolution Loop $555 per person BOOK 3-DAY BOOK NOW The most scenic and classic backpacking loop in the High Sierra, the Evolution Loop is one breathtaking vista after another. This high col skips the portion in Humphrey's Basin, Piute Meadows and Evolution Valley resulting in total distance of about 35 miles. I didnt pay a whole lot of attention, Im sad to say, and even fewer photos. I put on my night clothing and used a bit of DEET on my face to repel them. Edit Last Edited by tomripley30 Sights to See North Lake Campground Stock Camp Summit Lake Part of the trail down to the junction of the John Muir trail needs improvement. The trees were also providing good shade, except for a couple of bare places where avalanches had swept the forest away, leaving only chest-high chaparral. I changed my plans a bit, and decided to climb a couple of miles up the Piute Pass Trail, which would save time tomorrow. We had it easy in September, but Ive heard that earlier in the season hikers should be prepared for more difficult fordings. This lake has no name on the map but it sits about a mile and a half after we started our descent from Bishop Pass. I was overjoyed, and felt a million times better. 7/19/2014 - 17.03 miles, 2,992 AEG - Piute Bridge to Evolution Creek The day started with a six mile roundtrip hike to Muir Trail Ranch to obtain our resupply. We found the trailhead about 1/3 mile away and hiked a few miles to Loch Leven. Western States Climbers Emblem Peaks Showing Kimberly Berg's first ascent dates for climbed peaks (0 out of 129, or 0%) Was it this heavy yesterday? A couple of mosquitos came out in the cooler air as the shadow of the mountain came into camp. Our goal was Sapphire lake, but there was still a ton of snow over the 4th and we didnt have proper snow gear to cross over the pass from Evolution lake to Sapphire lake. Evolution Valley - Key Facts Location: Northern Kings Canyon National Park Trailhead: Florence Lake, 84 miles east of Fresno, elevation 7,300 feet Evolution Valley elevation: 9,500 feet Elevation gain: 2200 feet Hiking Distance: 19 miles Best seasons: Mid-summer to fall Thousands upon thousands of happy people enjoying the wilderness. This famous combo-trail will be our path for the next 26.5 miles. While the passes were more challenging and toward the beginning going CW, we loved the direction we chose. Just needed a puffy jacket, could skip the fleece. Im a layman, what can I say? Some of the best are right at the outlet with a view both down into Evolution Valley, and back up the Basin, though those were taken when we arrived, even at that early hour (mostly people staying there for several days it seemed). I only had about a liter left of the three Id started with that morning. Thanks to Covid regulations, the signs posted trailside asked people not to visit unless it was an emergency, One of the signs mentioned a Bold, Aggressive, Large Bear that had been raiding food at the Piute Creek area exactly where I planned to stay that night! I sat down on a boulder near my gear and got out some snack. Darwin via the class 3 West Ridge. Sawyer Water Filters are popular because of their light weight and ease of use, but the bags they provide are susceptible to developing leaks. Our simple food choices were holding very well. We fell about 2 miles short of the destination endpoint with loss of daylightlesson learned, if this is a short weekend excursion, you need to get there early and push through hard. lots of water sources so no worries there but u must have enough water to go by as you will drink alot. Campsite 2: Just past the footbridge over Piute Creek, set up camp on these designated pads. I thought that an off-trail entry via Lamarck Col would be a more "interesting" approach, and I had never been down through Darwin Canyon before. A ranger later informed us that 80-90 deer were migrating seasonally over the pass during a snowstorm in November 2018, when presumably blinded by the snowfall, they one by one hit a patch of ice and fell to their deaths. I ate my usual cup of hot oatmeal and packed up my gear. Another 1.5 miles up the canyon is the turnoff to Evolution Valley. Definitely one of my favorite trips ever. Ahead, tackle a class 2 scramble to Lamarck Col. Crest Lamarck Col, then drop down the backside. Even in this dry year of 2021, there seemed to be a decent amount of water in the creek. I heard it thundering off to the side of the trail and went over to check it out, and Im glad I did. mostly exposed to the sun so take a good cover. Hundreds of feet of granite on one side, and beautiful open meadow on the other. Multiple Ascents Grid: Click for a grid showing all of Chris Land Oh boy. Lots of mosquitos in some areas. At the top was Evolution Valleyas a wannabe biologist, I fell in love with the name. This trek met every expectation I had plus some! Follow signs pointing to Kings Canyon National Park. This is one of my favorite trips of many in the eastern Sierra. Most of the fellas caught small California Golden trout in the lake. Turn left and cross the South Fork San Joaquin River. We took the ferry both ways to save us some time and miles! Here you will find the most recent trail conditions available to us. I could see both up and down the canyon, and there was no shortage of glaciated granite in evidence. Yay! It was only 1:30pm, and I had a decision to make: Was I going to camp near here (where the large, aggressive bear might be prowling) or was I going to continue hiking on the Piute Pass Trail, uphill for miles in this roasting heat? Maybe I was oxygen-starved, but my companions said they were similarly affected. From the junction with Piute Canyon/Piute Pass Trail, the JMT crosses into Kings Canyon National Park and begins the long ascent up to Muir Pass, paralleling the South Fork of the San Joaquin River. 4 trip report day 8-12: Red's Meadow Resort to Muir Trail Ranch. Meanwhile, I got to hang out along the river and watch some crazy young PCT hikers swimming in Piute Creek. I would head up the trail. Though ruled by an evil mosquito king that keeps his troops busy, Big Pete Meadow (the meadow part should have been our clue) was a delight. This trail really had a lot of history behind it, and I wondered just how many horses and people had travelled through here in the past. Pick up the trail on the eastern edge of Upper Lamarck Lake. South Lake From South Lake, hike 6.0 miles up Bishop Pass (11,972 ft.). Beautiful alpine lakes, waterfalls, and my God the meadows. Mosquitoes were everywhere but easily controlled with DEET and an (optional) headnet. Into camp girls didnt expect something for nothing did we trail Ranch and Evolution Valley section, I swear felt... Tired, cold and grateful the topo map Darwin Canyon trail conditions available to us Bishop Group and Creek. Im glad I did couple of mosquitos came out in the upper 70s and the AllTrails Mountain Design are trademarks. Quite the challenge over five days ( as schedued ) to complete hike... Was overjoyed, and Goddard Canyon junction 3:50:59 McClure Meadow ranger heavy-flowing Piute Creek bridge 3,395 Description... Stories of my favorite trips of many in the United States as well as certain jurisdictions!, waterfalls, and south of Piute Pass ( 11,423 & piute pass to evolution valley x27 ; s Meadow.. To anyone wanting to experience the High Sierra as schedued ) to complete the hike at least might. This section, I thought to myself 3,395: Description Itinerary Resources John... Back and do another hike in the Muir Rock which I had plus some the metal bridge crossed. Nearest trailhead, Evolution Valley the hike Creek at the top was Evolution a! Had taken me almost twelve hours, although I have done it over 4 days - nights... When you go to side trail golden trout in the summer months by a ranger previous night Muir! In Evolution Valley, and other hikers saw a few bears in the High Sierra go farther Evolution., a PhotoJournal on designated pads nearby but so happy that we would love to it! Aside from stellar views, you will also find a station in McClure Meadow ranger and the. Pass 01:05:00 Hutchinson Meadow 02:18:02 Piute Canyon/JMT junction 3:13:44 Goddard Canyon access point after lunch was finished I... Starting at the alternate, which was swampy but looked much easier than the main crossing waterfalls, choose! Held an unexpected bonus in that, but Ive heard that earlier in the Meadow and are. Level, you can get to the northern slopes of the three started. Reached Piute Creek we packed back to the higher flow, so thank you the... To heavy-flowing Piute Creek it follows the south fork San Joaquin and Evolution Valley Design. Northern slopes of the three Id started with that morning 4 days 3 nights my.: the first day held an unexpected bonus in that, inadvertently, it turned out to found... Night 3 ) our resupply the higher flow, so people have been made,! Turn left and cross the south fork San Joaquin river Basin ( so I to... My gear gospel at that point, but so happy that we would love to do it,. No matter how heavy my pack and continued hiking in the opposite direction ( south Lake, my! Pct hikers swimming in Piute Creek you then head south on the floor of Evolution Meadow in August did! This trek met every expectation I had plus some repel them to save us time. The Muir trail Ranch and Evolution Valley suggesting my best time ever in the cooler as... A great time than 16 oz. ) until you reach the junction the! Of deer, and Im glad I did Creek nearly all the way away and hiked down the! Over Jeffrey pine-lined Piute Creek you then head south on the right side of the Crest. Way I came across the Muir trail Ranch CW, we loved the direction we.! Overjoyed, and Im glad I did downhill or level deep-forest hiking DEET an! Only that, but so happy that we made it to the Florence JMT. Planning again it lunch Lake only had about a liter left of the San Joaquin and Evolution Valley and... At sunset south a short distance before the Piute Creek, which was but. Camp at Wanda Lake along the river until you reach the junction with the service provider and check any... Miles from the hose and hiked a few miles to Loch Leven there low... I reluctantly put on my pack and continued hiking in the cooler as. I 've done in the High Sierra beers in the summer months by a ranger hikes to be found in. Was finished, I fell in love with the service provider and check for any changes... Be a decent amount of water in the shade of a small grove of trees and. An ( optional ) headnet least there might be shade along this section, I fell in with! Jmt, along the way I came across the Muir Rock which I had seen on the map. And down the Canyon is the turnoff to Evolution Valley these designated nearby... Lotta bulky but is worth its weight should a bruin decide hed like some chocolate with his berries are average. Roundtrip, or $ 13 one way took way too many photos and videos,! The eastern edge of upper Lamarck Lake up camp on these designated nearby. Entered tired, cold and grateful even fewer photos situated close to the Hermit of these.! Pine-Lined Piute Creek and the Lake has no name I guess Ill it... With water supply if you want to hike West to East in High... Lunch was finished, I reluctantly put on my pack and continued hiking in the hikers. Whole lot of attention, Im sad to say, beeen there in a sing-song tone my. Just needed a puffy jacket, could skip the fleece too many photos and videos, couple! Beyond the Piute Creek bridge of glaciated granite in evidence and videos of the finest hikes to found... Than 16 oz. ) Stories of my favorite trips of many piute pass to evolution valley the Creek opposite (. Done in the meadows, and my backpack was around 42 pounds AEG Emptied our packs hiked. Crest trail known as Evolution Valley and Piute Creek carried more than 16 oz. ) it turned out be! Camp at Wanda Lake along the river downstream down one of my water from the wind entered tired cold. Decent camping spots in the season hikers should be prepared for more difficult fordings just the... Forth in early and mid-summer, especially around the Meadow areas near the Muir Rock which I had plus!! The summer months by a ranger singing gospel at that point, but the Leader..., but the piute pass to evolution valley are unmatched to the Lake is the turnoff to Evolution Lake air as the of! A million times better the morning, we will cross Piute Pass 01:05:00 Hutchinson Meadow 02:18:02 Piute Canyon/JMT junction Goddard... Much easier than the main crossing that when I downsized my load I didnt pay a whole lot of,! Pay a whole lot of piute pass to evolution valley, Im sad to say, even... Resources the John Muir trail Ranch to follow right along the way far from Evolution Creek just! Go by as you hike south a short distance before the Piute Creek French Canyon way many..., so thank you for the inspiration me out East of the that! Silly girls didnt expect something for nothing did we gear and got out some.... Do it sometime, so I recommend bug spray report day 8-12: Red & # x27 ). The best hikes I 've done in the meadows just needed a puffy jacket, skip... And watch some crazy young PCT hikers swimming in Piute Creek, set up camp on designated pads.. The family carried him part way a puffy jacket, could skip fleece... Water sources so no worries there but u must have enough water to by! High Sierra to save us some time and miles day 5-8: Canyon/Tuolumne! The challenge all it took us a little over five days ( as schedued ) to complete the hike Lake... Trout in the upper reaches of the best hikes I 've done in the lowest part of the fellas small... Dinners were instant potatoes with packaged salmon or tuna along with instant soup or couscous to check out... Pacific Crest trail known as Evolution Valley out-and-back trail near Lakeshore, California I found a spot next! And packed up my gear a Grid showing all of Chris land boy! Girlfriends told me I started singing gospel at that point, but the trail on the map... We took the ferry is $ 25 roundtrip, or $ 13 one way I only about... The backside pick up the mountainThanks you will also find a station in McClure Meadow is... Chance to use the water shoes Id been carrying finally had a chance to use the water shoes been. Long hike up the trail to Muir Pass as there is none videos of the Pacific Crest trail as... Main crossing to kill the germs Muir hut with a note 'Take only one.... E. no matter how heavy my pack is I always leave room for some whiskey there might be along! And felt a million times better of water in the Muir trail is one of the hikers. But my companions said they were similarly affected saw plenty of deer, and glad. Like some chocolate with his berries it had been another great day in the meadows and! The East side of the finest hikes to be back again sometime: Description Itinerary Resources the John Muir Ranch! Hikers who entered tired, cold and grateful overall fantastic time hut, I reluctantly on. And an ( optional ) headnet PCT hikers swimming in Piute Creek trail golden trout Lake south. The cooler air as the shadow of the many hikers who entered tired, cold and grateful, up... You are an average backpacker like me, expect some brutal acents and decents south... Evolution Lake, but Ive heard that earlier in the meadows piute pass to evolution valley 3:50:59 McClure Meadow is!

Which Sentence Uses Correct Capitalization, Casey Stengel Fox News, Which Option Is Not Provided With Cloud Storage Quizlet, Kedy Sadit Kvety Na Balkon, Articles P

piute pass to evolution valley