douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011hungary no longer a democracy Posted March 13, 2023

IT helps, of course, that only one of the children desperately wanted to follow in Dad's footsteps. Echovita Inc is a registered trademark. We would like to offer our sincere support to anyone coping with grief. Douglas P. Roberts LEESBURG, FL Douglas P. Roberts, 54, of Leesburg, FL, passed away Aug, 18, 2014. Ralph Roberts was a consummate gentleman, kind and gentle husband and father, and a great business leader," Nutter said. All Rights Reserved. Mr. Roberts later worked in advertising at the Aitkin-Kynett agency, writing slogans for the Democrat William Benton, a successful United States Senate candidate from Connecticut who defeated Prescott S. Bush, the father and grandfather of two presidents, in 1950. Committed to the fight against cancer, he and his family helped establish the Roberts Proton Therapy Center at Penn Medicine in 2006. To make it work, you have to have motivated, competent successors as well as accommodating heirs. But as Brian Roberts worked his way up the ladder, the halcyon 1980's came to an end. I knew a lot of people at Comcast. Their son, Brian L. Roberts, is the current CEO of Comcast Corporation. Genealogy for Douglas Roberts (1960 - 2011) family tree on Geni, with over 230 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives. In 2001, the father and son made an audacious but successful $45 billion bid to acquire AT&Ts cable business. It shows the power of Ralph's influence, that he has been able to keep that feeling alive over 50 years," Cohen said. He has five children, aged 36 to 47. Most of his pay, he said, came from $43 million in profit from expiring stock options he had to exercise. Leave a memory or share a photo or video below to show your support. He was a gentle soul with an infectious spirit who will be greatly missed. "That culture says that you have to care about the people you work with. No services are scheduled at this time. In a family business, even the strongest allegiances can crack under the strain of a mismanaged transition at the top, but people familiar with Comcast say the younger Mr. Roberts is proving his mettle. He evolved and personalized his relationship for each of my siblings," Brian Roberts said. There is no photo or video of Douglas A. Roberts.Be the first to share a memory to pay tribute. In 1994, for example, Ralph Roberts scuttled a bid by Barry Diller, then the chairman of QVC, the home-shopping cable channel, to acquire CBS. When she was 60 years old, Mrs. Roberts got her undergraduate and master's degrees in psychology and now works with abused children. [4] Roberts received awards from the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, the Walter Kaitz Foundation, the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, The National Conference of Christians and Jews, the Urban League of Philadelphia, the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, the Golden Plate Award of the American Academy of Achievement,[7] and the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. It also sells those services to businesses. ", "He's the same person as my boss that he has been as a dad; he's gracious, never interrupts when you're talking. They were like mass therapy sessions with the children.''. A Visitation will be held on Friday, March 3 from 10 am - 12 pm at Drake and Son Funeral Home, 5303 North Western Ave., Chicago, IL 60625. Start searching today using our powerful and intuitive search. "It has been a dream come true for him - and for me," Brian Roberts told his father's biographer. It's been a real pleasure for the whole family," he said in 1999. That's his legacy: not leaving his children wanting. [13][14], Roberts made an appearance on TLC's reality series Cake Boss, receiving a cake for his 90th birthday. Your email will not be used for any other purpose. Copyright 2023 Echovita Inc. All rights reserved. Comcast, a name Roberts coined from the words communications and broadcasting. ", Mayor Nutter called Mr. Roberts a "consummate gentleman, kind and gentle husband and father, and a great business leader.". Roberts, Craig Mort, Brenda Bachura, Bill McMenemy, and Peter McMenemy. Let others know about your loved one's death. ''Hopefully, I have had more experience than most people,'' he said, ''but you never know.''. Like many media entrepreneurs, Ralph Roberts created several classes of stock, enabling him to issue equity without losing control. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. His father, Robert Max Roberts, was a Russian-Jewish immigrant who prospered with a string of pharmacies in the city. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. The soft-spoken, affable Mr. Roberts never acquired the outsize public profile of cable pioneers like Ted Turner, John C. Malone, Charles F. Dolan and John Rigas, but his impact was comparable to theirs in making cable television a culture-changing industry giving viewers hundreds of channels, where they once had little more than a dozen, and persuading them to pay for something that had always been free. And to prevent his other heirs from putting pressure on Brian to sell Comcast -- an issue that has torn many families apart -- Mr. Roberts is struggling with a way to give them nonvoting stock that they could cash in without disturbing their brother's grip on the company. "Ralph was a remarkable man who touched the lives of so many people. Maybe it was losing both his parents before he was 21, living through the Depression, but somehow he became an optimist. We'll automatically email you when obituaries are added that match your search query. Send a note, share a story or upload a photo. For example, it was Brian Roberts who was on the board of Turner Broadcasting before Time Warner bought it in 1996, and it was Brian who was president of the National Cable Television Association's board in 1995. Douglas was born April 10, 1943 in Los Angeles, CA. Born in Trenton, Doug was a longtime Ewing resident. As Comcast prospered, so did the Roberts family. Anyone can read what you share. Write your message of sympathy today. The elder Mr. Roberts has made sure that each of Brian's siblings will retain an economic stake in Comcast equal their brother's. ''We moved into an apartment with my aunt in Philadelphia. And all of them are rich. [15][16], Last edited on 27 February 2023, at 06:20, National Cable and Telecommunications Association, National Conference of Christians and Jews, National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, New York Times: "Ralph Roberts, Cable TV Pioneer Who Built Comcast, Dies at 95", "Love: Suzanne (Fleisher) Roberts & Ralph J. Roberts", "Brian Roberts' Jewish Roots and Outsized Ambition Drive Comcast's Rise in Media", University of Pennsylvania Medicine: "About the Roberts", "Ralph Roberts, Cable TV Pioneer Who Built Comcast, Dies at 95", "Golden Plate Awardees of the American Academy of Achievement", Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia: Our Hall of Fame, Eastern State Penitentiary: "Funders for the Synagogue Restoration", "Starring Role - From the boards to the funding, Suzanne Roberts lives for the stage", "Howard Gerstley Fleisher, 95, Businessman and Active Volunteer", Daily Finance: "Comcast's Brian Roberts: The low-key exec who leads a high-profile giant" By Jonathan Berr, The Cable Center: "Cable Hall of Fame Archives - Ralph J. Roberts, "Comcast founder Ralph Roberts dies at 95. The two said their relationship had been strengthened by having much to discuss, as each pursued separate professional interests - and also by the collaboration that developed when one asked the other for advice. A unique . He was the greatest influence in my life and a joy for me to work side by side with for over three decades. A few weeks ago, the five Roberts children -- leaving behind both mates and children -- spent a day with their parents for freewheeling talks on everything from personal concerns to financial matters. Upon graduating high school, Douglas went on to attend Wilbur Wright College briefly before following in his fathers footsteps and serving in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He rose to president and chief executive at Pioneer and eventually bought the company. Promoting an heir apparent may have been easier for the elder Mr. Roberts than for other entrepreneurs. Ralph J. Roberts. Douglas A. Roberts, 66, of Mount Carmel, Illinois, passed away on Sunday, May 2, 2021 at his residence. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. In addition to his wife, Ralph is survived by four of his children and their spouses: Catherine R. Clifton and Anthony A. Clifton, Lisa S. Roberts and David Seltzer, Ralph Roberts Jr. and Kim Roberts, Brian L. Roberts and Aileen K. Roberts and Diane Roberts, widow of Ralph and Suzannes son Douglas Roberts, who passed away in September 2011. He had resided in Leesburg for the past two years. The elder Roberts was also civic-minded. Blogs; Online will; Shop. In 1963, the year he founded the company, he created Comcast class B shares, of which there are 8.8 million, each with 15 votes. And if there is any disagreement, they can always talk it out. He will always be remembered for his generosity, integrity, honesty, kindness and respect for everyone around him. California residents do not sell my data request. When the club proved to be poorly made, however the shaft bent like a pretzel, Mr. Roberts said he quickly exited the business. No one was punished for broaching a new idea. Throughout his life, Roberts was involved in numerous community and civic activities, serving the boards of the Council of Emeritus Directors of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Brandywine Museum and Conservancy, among others. "But I don't think I'll be seeing too many more," he said. In his leisure time, on which Mr. Roberts insisted, he rode horses, foxhunted, and enjoyed his family. As an executive, Mr. Roberts had a knack for attracting talented people and giving them power, within limits. ''Brian is the more active participant.''. That was evident earlier this month when Brian Roberts and the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, struck a deal in which Microsoft agreed to pay $1 billion for an 11.5 percent stake in Comcast. "From selling belts door-to-door to creating the largest entertainment and technology corporation in the United States of America - it's an incredible success story. The magic words, according to Mr. Roberts, were "Yes, dear.". The family will host a private service for the family, the company announced. It is the mother who will make it work. Ralph is survived by Suzanne Roberts, his wife of over 70 years. After graduating from Parkrose High School in 1968, Doug attended Willamette University, then he graduated with a BA and Masters in Public . In 1963, Mr. Roberts was a little-known entrepreneur who had sold Muzak systems and mens belts and suspenders, but he was ambitious and always scouting for new business opportunities. He also sold advertising on ink blotters. The 1990's have been far tougher, as regulation and skepticism about the industry's future in the face of rival technologies hurt cable stocks. Actually, he added, "I've had a lot of bad ideas, but he would never say that. The Roberts Family Remembers Ralph J. Roberts. ''This is a relatively unusual situation,'' said Leon Danco, president of the Center for Family Studies. Comcast - the name borrowed from communications and broadcasting - was incorporated in 1969 and began its legendary climb. Loving father of Dennis Garland, D.J. "It's just a miracle," Brodsky said. It also locked up broadcast rights to the Phillies. In February 2013, Comcast paid $16.7 billion to purchase the remaining stake in NBCUniversal. After selling the firm, he set up shop in 1961 in Bala Cynwyd. The acquisition, which faced scrutiny from Congress, the Federal Communications Commission and the Justice Department, was scuttled in April of this year. He is also survived by his eight grandchildren. Using the proceeds from Pioneer, he started purchasing local community antenna television systems which brought TV to people in rural areas,[2] which were then underserved by big broadcasters. PHILADELPHIA-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--Today we are deeply saddened to announce that Ralph J. Roberts, husband, father and grandfather, died of natural causes last night in Philadelphia, PA. "I think maybe Ralph Roberts is the most successful businessman in the last 50 years that most people haven't heard of. "So much of what he is to the public is what he was to us. ''There is something about wanting to pass things on,'' he said. [2], Roberts has been credited with expanding Comcast into the largest cable television company in the United States. . We have all learned so much from Ralph, but perhaps the greatest lesson was the way he lived his life. "He was the greatest influence in my life and a joy for me to work side by side with for over three decades. ''I have never seen a relationship that could surpass the two of them,'' she said. CANDLE HAS BEEN LIT CANDLES HAVE BEEN LIT, We are reviewing your submission. spouse. The Roberts clan's equity stake in Comcast, based in Philadelphia, is worth at least $470 million without a premium, and once the patriarch and his wife pass from the scene, there is no guarantee the heirs won't hurl themselves into a fierce battle for the spoils. Douglas graduated from Holy Trinity High School in 1977 where he was an accomplished student, basketball & track star, and leader. Comcast, with $68.8 billion in revenue and 139,000 employees, is the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet, and telephone provider to homes. It bottomed out at $16.375 last March and has recovered slightly, closing at $21.375 on Friday on Nasdaq. Mr. Roberts built Comcast through a series of acquisitions of cable systems around the country. Published. If a family has to go to law court to determine what is fair, the issue is what's the law, not what is fair.''. "Ralph Roberts is the absolutely most clear-cut example of the American dream," said former Gov. The deal would have relegated Comcast, the biggest QVC shareholder, to be a minor, and passive, investor in CBS, and the elder Mr. Roberts wanted no part of that. And experts say the odds of a successful transition are greater at Comcast than at most family businesses. "During this period, even before 1979 . Without being asked, Mrs. Roberts volunteered her opinion that Ralph and Brian clicked as few business partners do. Ralph J. Roberts, the man whofounded Comcast Corp. with the purchase of a 1,200-subscriber cable television system in Tupelo, Mississippi in 1963, died Thursday night of natural causes in Philadelphia. If you have a small private business, and the old man has stashed away something under the floor, then it's very different.''. ''When some guy decides that he is so important that he dismisses Mama for some 35-year-old trophy, then I don't know what is fair. Mr. Roberts, who had been in declining health, died of natural causes. He graduated from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and served four years in the U.S. Navy. Brian Roberts countered that other companies, including Comcast, were aggressively upgrading. ", "He had a wonderful sense of humor, and he was very inspirational to me personally," Snider said in a statement. The deal stirred up widespread opposition from factions who feared that the resulting cable industry giant would stifle competition and hurt consumers. in memory of Douglass Edward Roberts, please visit our floral store. ''All this would never have happened in the arms of a second wife,'' according to Mr. Danco. On the contrary, he says, ''Brian takes the lead and is the one forging ahead and trying to figure out where they are going,'' Mr. Maffei said. He is also survived by his eight grandchildren. "As a person, his DNA is all over our company. Help tell the story of your loved ones unique life. Flush with cash, Comcast went on a buying spree in the mid-1980s, acquiring part of the Group W cable system. And I always answer with a straight face, 'Of course I did,' " Mr. Roberts said in An Incredible Dream, his authorized biography, written by William Novak. ". There was plenty of room to give the son a shot. He felt, 'This doesn't have to be about me.' ''I would see Ralph about once a year. ''We had 650 analysts on the conference call to discuss the deal,'' recalled Brian Roberts, who handled the call for Comcast. '', Both parents said that in bringing up their brood, they worked hard to see that the children connected with one another. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. "That's what he stood for. While building Comcast, he built an economic engine for the city of Philadelphia as well.". Douglas Scott was born April 8,1958 to Joe Nathan Scott and Mona (nee Page) Scott. Now Brian typically takes the lead.''. founded Comcast Corp. with the purchase of a 1,200-subscriber cable television system in Tupelo, Mississippi in 1963, died Thursday night of natural causes in Philadelphia. In 2014, Comcast proposed a $45.2 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable. Besides his son Brian, Mr. Roberts is survived by his wife, the host of the Comcast Network program "Seeking Solutions With Suzanne," aimed at viewers 50 and older; two daughters, Catherine. ''We never emphasized that they should make a lot of money, or have the biggest car,'' Mrs. Roberts recalled. In a statement, Mayor Michael Nutter remembered the business visionary and family man. And her husband reminisced about family trips. The couple celebrated 70 years of marriage in 2012. Doug was born July 24, 1969, in Kalamazoo, the son of Douglas and Vicky (Troyer). The memory of the fiasco still rankles Mr. Diller. ''Usually we have about 200.''. Luckily, the youngster had business smarts as well as enthusiasm. Ralph J. Roberts, 95, the soft-spoken visionary who in 1963 bought a tiny subscriber-TV system in Tupelo, Miss., and built it into Comcast Corp., the nation's leading cable company, died Thursday night in Philadelphia. Brian, born in 1959, was the fourth. Then he turned the company over to his son at an early age. "When?" The center, the largest and most advanced facility in the world for proton therapy - a precise form of cancer radiation - is in Penn Medicine's department of radiation oncology. Send a note, share a story or upload a photo. "The trick," Mr. Roberts said in the biography, "is to make everyone feel involved.". This has a pretty good chance of working. But during the Depression, Mr. Roberts recalled, ''my father died, and we lost all our money. "People often ask me, 'When you started in Tupelo with a few hundred customers, did you ever think that someday you'd have the largest cable company in the country?' Most recently, Roberts and his wife, Suzanne, received the Philadelphia Award to highlight their lifetime contributions to the city in business, philanthropy, and arts and culture. The Dignity Memorial brand name is used to identify a network of licensed funeral, cremation and cemetery providers that include affiliates of Service Corporation International, 1929 Allen Parkway, Houston, Texas. Douglas Alan Roberts Sept. 8, 1950 - April 1, 2020 Douglas Alan Roberts, age 69, of Vancouver, WA, passed away April 1, 2020, from complications due to COVID-19. He was 95. "Ralph has been the heart and soul of Comcast for 50 years," said his son, Comcast president and CEO Brian L. Roberts, in a note to employees Friday morning. . They have met at the investment bank Allen & Company's annual Sun Valley Conference for media heavyweights, and they got together last summer when Mr. Gates came to speak at a United Way fund-raising event in Philadelphia. A Funeral Service will begin at Noon at . '', That would have been a wrenching decision, as it almost invariably is for the founder of a company. Comcast, a name Roberts coined from the words communications and broadcasting,was incorporated in 1969. ''He gives more speeches than anyone who is asked,'' said one media executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity. He graduated with an economics degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and enlisted in the Navy as World War II was beginning, serving at the Philadelphia Navy Yard for the duration of the war. "You could tell Ralph was crazy about Brian, and Brian was crazy about him. ''I was probably the one to pull the curtain,'' he said. He is survived by : his parents, Terrance Andrew Roberts, Sr. and Geraldine Thompson (Boyce); his children, Sarah Roberts-Hanna, Katherine Allen, Sabrina McComas and Daniel Roberts; his grandchildren, Harper, Emily and Taylor; and his siblings, Danny Roberts and Charmaine Hankins. Your entry has exceeded the maximum character limit. His parents Robert Max Roberts (also known as Bob Roberts) and Sara Wahl were both Russian-Jewish immigrants who became wealthy in America through ownership of a number of pharmacies, the most notable of which was in the Biltmore Hotel. ''They drag the business down because it kills the morale of everybody in the company.''. "Ralph was a tough, hard businessman, but he never forgot his obligation to help others, help his community, and help Philadelphia. He was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather and perhaps most importantly, a kind and humble human being. May 2, 2021 Would you like to offer Douglas A. Robertss loved ones a condolence message? He was an icon, a mentor and friend to so many. Ralph Roberts took the time to sort out with each child the ambitions and passions of life, and to stay engaged, as these changed, his son said. [5] They incorporated in 1969 as Comcast Corporation, a name Roberts invented by combining the words communications and broadcasting. The potential for conflict is obvious. ", Mr. Roberts met his wife at a dance in 1937 when he was 17, she 16. Funeral Home website by. And by the end of this year, the elder Mr. Roberts will increase Brian's control over the company's special class of 8.8 million shares that represent nearly 82 percent of Comcast's vote. They both deserve credit for that graceful interplay, but the lion's share goes to Ralph," said Burke, CEO of Comcast's NBCUniversal. Soon after buying the Flyers, Mr. Roberts admitted that he had just seen his first hockey game. ''We would have discussions about our lives. He was an inspiration to us all and we will miss him greatly.". Today, Ralph Jr. is a professor of psychology at the University of Denver, and the other three all live near their parents in Philadelphia, where Lisa has a design business, Cathy is involved in philanthropy and Douglas is an assistant District Attorney. He graduated from Ewing High School and studied automotive technology at the Lincoln Technical Institute on a scholarship. You can still show your support by sending flowers directly to the family, or by planting a memorial tree in the memory of Douglass Edward Roberts, 2023 Hathaway Funeral Homes. An actress, director and host of Seeking Solutions with Suzanne, Suzanne has spent a lifetime seeking to help others. "Ralph was always 'Ralph' to his rank-and-file employees, and a great listener who always checked his ego at the door. After Robert Roberts died in 1932, Ralphs mother, Sara, moved the family to the Germantown section of Philadelphia, to be near her ailing sister. Mr. Roberts has been married to his wife, Suzanne, for 54 years. Roberts was born on March 13, 1920, in New York City. (Mr. Bush won the states other Senate seat two years later.). He was always a stickler for table manners," she said. New York Times: Ralph Roberts, Cable TV Pioneer Who Built Comcast, Dies at 95 By Glenn Rifkin Ralph J. Roberts, who at the dawn of the cable television industry bought a small cable service in Tupelo, Miss., and built it into Comcast, today the largest cable television company in the nation, died Thursday night in Philadelphia. What is more common is that this kind of agreement does not happen. "He wanted to keep the integrity, the family feel, and the dedication of employees. Receive a notification when services are updated. In addition to his wife, son, and daughter, Mr. Roberts is survived by daughter Catherine R. Clifton; son Ralph Jr.; and eight grandchildren. "For me, the culture and comfort and chemistry have always been really important. Though his father called Comcast a family business, Brian was the only one of the children to show a serious interest in working with his father.

Saying No To Last Minute Plans, Lisa Gonzales Kcra, Did Sean Connery Died Of Covid, Gypsy Crusader Dazedwoozy, What Are The Functions Of Communicators And Journalist, Articles D

douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011