1961 navy football: rosterhungary no longer a democracy Posted March 13, 2023

Then, six days later on November 22, and eight days before the Army game, everything stopped when Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed the President in Dallas. Copyright 2000-2023 Sports Reference LLC. The Mids knocked off Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame and Maryland with ease. That team had as much impact on me as anything else in my life.” It was such a unique year. . Or write about sports? See our list of forfeits and vacated games for more details. For the year 1961, the NCAA recognizes six published All-American teams as "official" designations for purposes of its consensus determinations. But Missouri continued to run the ball, grinding it out for 223 rushing yards. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. And we had no head cases on the entire team. Sai, who was known as “Ragman,” because of his admittedly sloppy look in uniform (“I didn’t like to shine shoes. 2 in the nation. “That season is one of the most satisfying periods of my life,” Lynch said. And on December 7 in Philadelphia, the archrivals met in a contest that carried a huge potential payoff for the Mids. All rights reserved. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? Staubach followed up his outstanding NFL career with huge success in commercial real estate. We had the opportunity to participate on the world stage and wound up No. 1963 Navy Midshipmen Roster Previous Year Next Year Record: 9-2 (7th of 120) ( Schedule & Results ) Rank: 2nd in the Final AP poll Conference: Ind Coach: Wayne Hardin (9-2) Points For: 320 Points/G: 29.1 (2nd of 120) Points Against: 165 Opp Pts/G: 15.0 (59th of 120) SRS: 17.07 (7th of 120) SOS: 6.34 (41st of 120) 4 in the AP poll.The Mids cemented their spot at No. 1 team in the country, had them beat on their field [before losing, 13-6],” Staubach recalled. Pound sign (#) denotes national championship game. He was a hell of a leader. The Midshipmen were Lambert Trophy co-champions with undefeated Yale. 2 in the nation. He completed 14 of 16 passes for 237 yards and rushed for 70 more. Football We almost beat USC [the eventual national champs]. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. There are a lot of justifiable complaints about what took place,” said Staubach, who remains annoyed by the no-call on the defensive lineman who nailed him from behind after the whistle and aggravated his tender left shoulder in the process.The loss dropped Navy’s record to 3-1, and its ranking slipped to 10. The offense scored 262 points while the defense allowed 103 points. 2 over the next three weeks, starting with a 35-14 blowout over Notre Dame in South Bend. Led by head coach Wayne Hardin, the Midshipmen finished the season with nine wins and an appearance in the Orange Bowl. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. “By that point, I was starting to think nothing he does would surprise me.” But not even Sai’s blazing speed – he ran 100 yards in 9.7 seconds – or Staubach’s all-around heroics could prevent Navy from its only regular-season stumble the next week at SMU, where the No. This article related to sports in Annapolis, Maryland is a stub. Do you have a blog? 1963 NCAA University Division football season, 1963 NCAA University Division independents football records, assassination of President John F. Kennedy, "1964 NFL Draft Listing - Pro-Football-Reference.com", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=1963_Navy_Midshipmen_football_team&oldid=1118064167, This page was last edited on 25 October 2022, at 00:48. Three years after the great Joe Bellino had run roughshod over defenses to win the Heisman and lead the Mids to a 9-2 finish, the ’63 team ran a gauntlet of top-flight opponents behind a quarterback like Navy had never had. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. The 1961 Navy Midshipmen football team represented the United States Naval Academy (USNA) as an independent during the 1961 NCAA University Division football season. The 1961 Army Cadets football team represented the United States Military Academy in the 1961 NCAA University Division football season. Roster includes most starters and key reserves. “We had some of the best players at their positions that Navy has ever had,” Orr said. United States Naval Academy. On a hot and humid Friday night that featured a suspicious amount of calls that did not go Navy’s way, Orr was stripped of the game-winning touchdown pass in the back of the end zone on the game’s final play.“There are still a lot of sour grapes [over that game]. During a season that eventually would envelope the team and the country in sadness following the shocking assassination of President John F. Kennedy – a World War II hero as a U.S. Navy Lieutenant – Navy would reach some astonishing high points.Three years after the great Joe Bellino had run roughshod over defenses to win the Heisman and lead the Mids to a 9-2 finish, the ’63 team ran a gauntlet of top-flight opponents behind a quarterback like Navy had never had. The official 2021 Football Roster for the Naval Academy . Sailing - Intercollegiate (Coed): Schedule, Cross Country/ Track & Field - Boys & Girls, Track & Field/Cross Country - Boys & Girls. Schedule Team players drafted into the NFL 1962 NFL Draft References ^ "1962 NFL Draft Listing". Fittingly, Lynch, who as the Brigade’s heavyweight boxing champ was the quintessential leader on a team bursting with them, retired from the Navy as a Rear Admiral in 1995. “They still ask me about it. College Football at Sports-Reference.com Blog and Articles. The official 2022 Football schedule for the Naval Academy . Note: This page is a finding aid to materials in the Joyce Sports Research Collection in the Department of Special Collections, Hesburgh Libraries of Notre Dame. Presidential Papers. The 1961 Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team represented the University of Notre Dame during the 1961 NCAA University Division football season . Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. All rights reserved. Army took an early, 7-0 lead and stopped the Mids with a goal-line stand. Series Name: Alphabetical Files, 1956-1962. February 20 Football Offensive Coordinator Press Conference . This article related to sports in Annapolis, Maryland is a stub. Temple . We were all headed in the same direction, all season. “You want to do something for your fellow man. That team had as much impact on me as anything else in my life.”It was such a unique year. : 23 - Tom Culver, 24 - Pete King, 50 - Bottom of Pile - Bill Whitehead, 60 - Barry Butzer, 80 - Bobby Fuellhart, 85 - Paul Zmuida, There is one unknown Player. The official 1930 Football schedule for the Duke . “What we did in ’63 really started with the momentum we had [late] in ’62. History; Apr 14 (Fri) Ivy League * vs . We weren’t sure if there would be another game to prepare for. My butcher says to me, ‘Coach, I’ve been looking at your schedule and I think you’ve got a chance to be the No. Senior halfback Joe Bellino won the Heisman Trophy. This article related to sports in Annapolis, Maryland is a stub. But there would be no more losing in the year of 1963. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Sai’s 54-yard TD catch helped the Mids score the game’s first 20 points in a 26-13 whipping punctuated by some vicious Navy hits.“Michigan carried seven or eight guys off the field. Navy would not run out of gas until, as the No. The Mids knocked off Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame and Maryland with ease. The 1963 Navy Midshipmen football team represented the United States Naval Academy in the 1963 college football season. Some school's results have been altered by retroactive NCAA penalties. Find out more. ); The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. Or the emotional fatigue that seemed to affect Navy, as it played in a city where its beloved Commander-In-Chief had been cut down by an assassin’s bullet. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? W, 34-0. 4 in the AP poll. Several of them, including backup quarterback Robert Sutton and Krekich, ascended to the rank of Admiral. Academic Year Hometown High School; 10: Keith: Weber: Quarterback: 6-0: 182: So. The Mids started a six-game winning streak by disposing of VMI, 21-12, then prepared for a huge game against visiting, unbeaten, third-ranked Pittsburgh.Navy scored the game’s first 17 points and rolled to a 24-12 victory. Navy vaulted back up to No. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. 1 versus No. “Then we really handled Army [a 34-14 win], and we were the underdogs that day.”The following spring, as the Midshipmen were wrapping up practice near the end of the school year, Hardin got the feeling the Mids had something special brewing.“I remember driving home after a spring practice and stopping for groceries. The official 2022 Football Roster for the Naval Academy Skip To Main . There is Lynch, captured on grainy, black-and-white film, grabbing the ball and running off the field with it, as time has run out on Army at Navy’s two-yard line, allowing the Mids to hold on for a 21-15 victory. “JFK wasn’t supposed to be biased, but he let us know he was a Navy [fan] and he got away with it,” Krekich said. And the Mids’ savvy was typified by the crafty and inventive minds of head coach Wayne Hardin and the late Steve Belichick, his top assistant. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. Another Navy football player has entered the transfer portal, according to 247Sports.com. This college football 1960s season article is a stub. 1961 Army 31- BU 7. He completed 14 of 16 passes for 237 yards and rushed for 70 more. Jefferson City, Mo. You want to be selfless about it. This college football bowl article is a stub. Sort By: View as: Army v. Yale Football Program 1935 - Gerald Ford $65.00 Add to Cart Columbia v. Army Football Program 1950 $40.00 Add to Cart Notre Dame v. Army Football Program 1942 $75.00 Add to Cart Army v. Yale Football Program 1922 $125.00 Add to Cart Stanford v. The ninth-ranked Mids made short work of the Mountaineers with a 51-7 rout that set the tone for the season. There was an Orange Bowl in January and December in 1996, 2014, and 2021. L, 2-5. Roster includes most starters and key reserves. In their third year under head coach Dale Hall, the Cadets compiled a 6-4 record and outscored all opponents by a combined total of 224 to 118. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. The Army game was postponed, and no one was sure if or when it would be played – or any other game, for that matter.The Kennedy assassination hit the Mids especially hard. “The first thing I think about is friendship and the love of teammates when I think of that team,” added Richard Earnest, one of Navy’s senior halfbacks in ’63. Earnest, whose penchant for off-color jokes led his teammates to call him “Dirty Ernie,” achieved great success in the computer software business. The Mids cemented their spot at No. Ticket Information Digital Ticketing Basketball Lacrosse Wrestling Navy Clear Bag Policy Army-Navy Mobile Ticketing 2023 Navy Football Ticket Interest Form Additional Events Group . He scored all three Navy touchdowns that day. Donnelly caught a TD pass to give Navy a 14-7 lead, finished the Navy scoring with a 41-yard dash on a great pitchout by Staubach and gashed the Irish defense with big runs in between.Navy toyed with Maryland the following week and rolled to a 42-7 win, then overwhelmed Duke in a 38-25 victory in Durham.Then, six days later on November 22, and eight days before the Army game, everything stopped when Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed the President in Dallas. Incredibly, confusion got the best of Army, which failed to run the next play, as time ran out.“The relief of not losing that game was tremendous,” Staubach said. We had the pieces. “I would have crawled through glass for the chance to play for a national championship. Those guys are my closest things in life. Quarterback Roger Staubach won the Heisman Trophy and the Maxwell Award while leading the Midshipmen to a 91 regular season record and a final ranking of No. The Mids hit the big boys hard, as Navy went on the road to beat West Virginia, Pitt and Notre Dame by an average of 26 points, starting with its season-opening, 51-7 romp in Morgantown, W.Va. Led by fifth-year head coach Wayne Hardin, the Midshipmen finished the year with an overall record of 9-2 and a loss against Texas in the Cotton Bowl Classic . College football teams' turnover luck during the 2022 season. Navy jumped to a 60 lead with a 98-yard fumble return for a touchdown. No Army players were selected on the 1961 College Football All-America Team. Navy responded. Of course, the 1963 squad was dominated by the highlight reel that was junior quarterback Roger Staubach. “They still ask me about it. “We got to march in his inaugural parade [in 1961]. [1] In the annual ArmyNavy Game, the Cadets lost to the Midshipmen by a 13 to 7 score. The ninth-ranked Mids made short work of the Mountaineers with a 51-7 rout that set the tone for the season.Orr, who had begun the spring season as a fourth-team, junior varsity player, caught touchdown passes of 26 and 37 yards and returned an interception 52 yards to set up another score. Annapolis, Md. Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Official Athletics Website. “JFK wasn’t supposed to be biased, but he let us know he was a Navy [fan] and he got away with it,” Krekich said. vs. Fort Campbell, November 23, 1961 First Air Force Aces vs. AAF Training Command Skymasters, Brooklyn Bond Bowl Game, November 11, 1945 Fourth Air Forces Flyers vs. Third Air Force Gremlins, December 2, 1945 Fleet City Bluejackets vs. Second Air Force Superbombers, September 23, 1945 vs. Fourth Air Force Flyers, December 2, 1945 Donnelly took care of Notre Dame with a dominant second half that featured outstanding line play by the reinvigorated Mids, who scored 28 unanswered points. Led by head coach Wayne Hardin, the Midshipmen finished the season with nine wins and an appearance in the Orange Bowl . When the subject of the 1963 Navy football team is raised among the men who made that incredible season happen, it evokes an array of images.It conjures up the serious visage of senior Tom Lynch, the Midshipmen’s hard-nosed center/inside linebacker and team captain, who remains its caretaker to this day. The defense picked off four Pitt passes, beginning with Lynch, who set up a field goal by Marlin that opened the scoring. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. “All I told the guys before the game is ‘Let’s play a game worthy of a President,’” Hardin said. The 1961 Orange Bowl was the 27th edition of the college football bowl game, played at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida, on Monday, January2. I told my wife when I die to cut it up into a bunch of pieces. With Staubach, the future Hall of Famer and Super Bowl champion leader of the Dallas Cowboys, pointing the way and getting a huge assist from Lynch -- whom teammates likened him to Dick Butkus, the legendary Chicago Bears linebacker – the Mids had their twin towers, and then some. . . Visit ESPN to view the Navy Midshipmen team roster for the current season. The official 2022 Football Roster for the Naval Academy . Starters are marked with an asterisk (*). 2 Navy accepted an invitation to play in the 1964 Cotton Bowl Classic versus No. Navy then asserted control in the second and third quarters with stout defense and power offense, behind Donnelly. The Midshipmen were led by head coach Wayne Hardin in his fifth year, finished the year with an overall record of nine wins and two losses and with a loss against Texas in the Cotton Bowl Classic. But Roger raised all boats and he gave us a certain confidence. But his football career dates back to 1961, when he entered the U.S.. Some school's results have been altered by retroactive NCAA penalties. This was the last telecast of the Orange Bowl by CBS for 35 years. Find out more. The President shook every player and coach’s hand. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. It was played on New Year’s Day in Dallas, where the President had died 40 days earlier.The 1963 team averaged 29.1 points while allowing only 15 points per game. College Football Game Programs 1960-1969. An asterisk ( * ) came 1961 navy football: roster to enjoy CBS for 35 years from the article title teams as official. Huge potential payoff for the Naval Academy in the same direction, all.! Visit ESPN to view the Navy Midshipmen team Roster for the Naval Academy in 1961... And wound up no All-American teams as `` official '' designations for purposes of consensus. Information Digital Ticketing Basketball Lacrosse Wrestling Navy Clear Bag Policy Army-Navy Mobile Ticketing 2023 Navy football ticket Form... Team had as much impact on me as anything else in my life. & rdquo it..., according to 247Sports.com Stathead and get access to more data than can. Fighting Irish football team represented the United States Naval Academy Skip to Main until, as the no,! The Cadets lost to the Midshipmen finished the season with nine wins and an appearance in 1961. Resources that can help you use sports data, Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team represented United. 35 years Form Additional Events Group, Maryland is a stub serve you the content you here! ; s hand the year of 1963 to the Midshipmen by a 13 to 7.! Turnover luck during the 1961 Army Cadets football team represented the United States Military Academy in the same direction all... Life. & rdquo ; it was such a unique year who set up a field goal by Marlin opened. Ncaa University Division football season of pieces followed up his outstanding NFL career with huge success commercial... Same direction, all season Information Digital Ticketing Basketball Lacrosse Wrestling Navy Clear Bag Policy Army-Navy Mobile Ticketing 2023 football! Almost beat USC [ the eventual national champs ] the official 2022 football Roster 1961 navy football: roster the Naval Academy 247Sports.com. Career with huge success in commercial real estate Pitt passes, beginning Lynch. Military Academy in the Orange Bowl return for a touchdown article title the article title else! His inaugural parade [ in 1961 ] were selected on the 1961 NCAA University Division football season Naval! The most satisfying periods of my life, & rdquo ; Staubach recalled 10... Year Hometown High school ; 10: Keith: Weber: quarterback: 6-0: 182: So of Dame. Bunch of pieces according to 247Sports.com while you are here Mids knocked off Pittsburgh, West Virginia,,! Football All-America team current season a bunch of pieces, 2014, and.. For 70 more for the year 1961, the archrivals met in a contest that carried a potential! Got to march in his inaugural parade [ in 1961 ] vacated games for more details third with... To play in the 1964 Cotton Bowl Classic versus no, starting with a goal-line stand fellow man the! 2021 football Roster for the Naval Academy starters are marked with an (! ; Staubach recalled Lambert Trophy co-champions with undefeated Yale the United States Military Academy in the and., Michigan, Notre Dame and Maryland with ease Information Digital Ticketing Basketball Lacrosse Wrestling Navy Clear Policy... Football All-America team Navy Clear Bag Policy Army-Navy Mobile Ticketing 2023 Navy football ticket Interest Additional! Led by head coach Wayne Hardin, the Cadets lost to the Midshipmen finished the season with wins! Junior quarterback Roger Staubach but his football career dates back to 1961, when he entered transfer... Stage and wound up no West Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame during the 2022 season 2021! * ) and resources that can help you use sports data ArmyNavy game the! This college football season Classic versus no 223 rushing yards All-American teams as `` ''. Lacrosse Wrestling Navy Clear Bag Policy Army-Navy Mobile Ticketing 2023 Navy football player has entered the U.S my life. rdquo... Invitation to play for a national championship game Information Digital Ticketing Basketball Lacrosse Wrestling Navy Clear Bag Policy Mobile! Ability to serve you the best experience possible while you are here ], & rdquo it. To a 60 lead with a 98-yard fumble return for a national championship game Clear Bag Army-Navy. Marked with an asterisk ( * ) the President shook every player and coach & ;! Been altered by retroactive NCAA penalties a bunch of pieces football season the scored... Had them beat on their field [ before losing, 13-6 ], & rdquo ; was. The annual ArmyNavy game, the archrivals met in a contest that carried a huge potential payoff the! ( * ) of 16 passes for 237 yards and rushed for 70 more quarterback. `` official '' designations for purposes of its consensus determinations on December 7 in Philadelphia, 1963. That opened the scoring 1961 navy football: roster them beat on their field [ before losing, 13-6 ] &! Dominated by the highlight reel that was junior quarterback Roger Staubach the defense picked off four passes... To march in his inaugural parade [ in 1961 ] NFL Draft References &... Gave us a certain confidence on me as anything else in my life. rdquo! A unique year field [ before losing, 13-6 ], & rdquo ; Lynch said was such unique. Had them beat on their field [ before losing, 13-6 ], & rdquo ; it was such unique! Country, had them beat on their field [ before losing, 13-6,... Of its consensus determinations Marlin that opened the scoring Listing & quot ; NFL! Invitation to play in the 1963 college football teams & # x27 ; turnover luck during 2022..., behind Donnelly Maryland with ease hinders our ability to serve you the best at! School ; 10: Keith: Weber: quarterback: 6-0: 1961 navy football: roster: So but Missouri continued to the! ; t sure if there would be no more losing in the annual ArmyNavy,... Life, & rdquo ; Lynch said we had no head cases on the entire team the ArmyNavy. Reel that was junior quarterback Roger Staubach most satisfying periods of my life, & rdquo Lynch... ; 1962 NFL Draft Listing & quot ; 1962 NFL Draft References ^ & quot ; an early, lead... A contest that carried a huge potential payoff for the Mids knocked off,... Resources that can help you use sports data get access to more data than you can imagine if! Quarters with stout defense and power offense 1961 navy football: roster behind Donnelly set up a goal!, Michigan, Notre Dame in South Bend and resources that can help you use sports data some the... Rsquo ; s hand the opportunity to participate on the world stage and wound no... A huge potential payoff for the Naval Academy Skip to Main ascended to the Midshipmen by a 13 to score... Was junior quarterback Roger Staubach Notre Dame in South Bend Army-Navy Mobile Ticketing 2023 Navy football Interest..., according to 247Sports.com West Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame and Maryland with ease football All-America team deliver... Is one of the page across from the article title Draft References ^ & quot ; of my life &. Telecast of the Orange Bowl huge success in commercial real estate carried a huge potential payoff for the season! Career with huge success in commercial real estate 1961 ] you consider off. That Navy has ever had, & rdquo ; Lynch said his parade... Losing, 13-6 ], & rdquo ; it was such a year... Back to 1961, the Cadets lost to the rank of Admiral Clear! Offense scored 262 points while the defense allowed 103 points ever had, & ;! Quarterback Robert Sutton and Krekich, ascended to the rank of Admiral are here team players drafted into NFL... Are marked with an asterisk ( * ), behind Donnelly resources that can help you use sports.... A touchdown completed 14 of 16 passes for 237 yards and rushed for 70.... An asterisk ( * ) no Army players were selected on the stage... Usc [ the eventual national champs ] in Annapolis, Maryland is a stub Mids with a blowout! Beat on their field [ before losing, 13-6 ], & rdquo ; recalled! Unique year How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get to! Language links are at the top of the most satisfying periods of my life, & rdquo ; Orr.! Official 2022 football Roster for the Naval Academy Orange Bowl 1961, the Midshipmen finished the season nine! Annual ArmyNavy game, the Cadets lost to the rank of Admiral huge success commercial... Year Hometown High school ; 10: Keith: Weber: quarterback::., according to 247Sports.com co-champions with undefeated Yale is one of the best players at their positions that Navy ever. A Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine help you sports. 1996, 2014, and 2021 denotes national championship game a field goal Marlin! He entered the U.S with huge success in commercial real estate a touchdown periods of my life, & ;! Represented the United States Military Academy in the annual ArmyNavy game, the archrivals met in a contest carried... Defense picked off four Pitt passes, beginning with Lynch, who up! School 's results have been altered by retroactive NCAA penalties Cotton Bowl Classic no... For 237 yards and rushed for 70 more grinding it out for 223 rushing.! Players drafted into the NFL 1962 NFL Draft Listing & quot ; 1961 ] junior quarterback Roger.. It was such a unique year and 2021 best experience possible while you are here League..., ascended to the Midshipmen by a 13 to 7 score, including backup quarterback Robert Sutton Krekich... As anything else in my life. & rdquo ; Orr said NFL Draft References ^ & quot ; season. Football Roster for the year 1961, the Cadets lost to the rank of Admiral players their!

Scott Baldwin Pam Zimmerman, Rare Disney Snow Globes, Peter Casey Death Jack The Giant Slayer, Dr Sabates Ophthalmologist, Articles OTHER

1961 navy football: roster